PLANS & STUDIES
The intent of the “original” Envision Duluth LCI Study completed in 2001 was to strengthen the function of downtown Duluth and take advantage of the potential of the Duluth Town Green to make downtown a figurative “heart” for the City of Duluth. The LCI study enabled the City to envision downtown as an inviting, green, and walkable gathering place that is surrounded with interesting places to live, work and play, and linked to its diverse neighborhoods by bike, pedestrian, and transit routes.
The Envision Duluth LCI 10-Year Update Report, completed in June 2011, represents a wealth of research, data, analysis and specific recommendations for the next phases of redevelopment for downtown Duluth. The document stands alone as a resource document, evidence of the level of planning by the City of Duluth reflects the importance of the Downtown to the future of the City.
The purpose of the 10-Year Update of the Envision Duluth Livable Centers Initiative (LCI) Study is to revisit the vision Downtown Duluth established by the plan in light of five types of significant changes that have taken place since then:
1. Large-scale “on the ground” changes in terms of public improvements and private development that have transformed downtown Duluth;
2. Major new planning and redevelopment studies were undertaken by the City;
3. Changing economic and market conditions that affect prospects for future investment;
4. New regional goals resulting from the Atlanta Regional Commission’s (ARC’s) Envision6 Regional Development Plan, Lifelong Communities standards, and Green Communities Program; and
5. Initiation of transit service by Gwinnett Transit, new long-range plans, and the Transit Planning Board’s Concept 3 Plan.
The most notable public investments in downtown Duluth include completion of the Town Green, Festival Center, with fountain and amphitheater, construction of Taylor Park and a new City Hall on the Town Green, and construction of a new Public Safety Building on Buford Highway. Many other examples of the city’s commitment to the implementation of the original LCI Study can be found throughout Downtown Duluth and are discussed in detail in the Existing Conditions section of this report.
To view the entire report click on the link below;