PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT
The “ForwarDuluth” Process
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan (Comp Plan, for short) is an official statement of the City’s vision for its future. It expresses the Duluth community’s aspirations and goals for the city’s future, while articulating a corresponding set of policies and recommendations to guide future decisions regarding land use, development and capital improvements. The Plan is emphasizes the next steps the City will take to move Duluth Forward into the future.
Why update the Comp Plan?
Duluth is a dynamic and growing city that has experienced substantial changes since the City’s last Comprehensive Plan was adopted in 2014. Moreover, as required by Georgia state planning rules, local governments must update their Comprehensive Plans every five years. Updating the Comprehensive Plan presents an opportunity to account for these changes and to respond to continued development pressures. It is also an opportunity to celebrate and reflect on Duluth’s past journey, while confirming and refining our aspirations for moving Duluth Forward.
Our schedule going forward:
On Monday, December 10th, 2018, City Council opened the ForwarDuluth Draft up for public comment. Here are important dates moving forward.
- December 10th: Draft open for public comment.
- January 17th 2019: Last day for public comment.
- January 24th 2019: Final Steering Committee Meeting
- February 4th 2019: Planning Commission Public Hearing for approval
- February 11th, 2019: City Council Public Hearing for approval
- February 12th 2019: Send to Atlanta Regional Commission and Department of Community Affairs for approval
Review Documents and Maps
Please send all comments to FORWARDuluth@duluthga.net on or before January 17th, 2019.
You may view and download the draft document as a full document, by chapter, or through a web-viewer. Please follow the instructions below for downloading and viewing the version you would prefer.
Magazine Web Viewer
View ForwarDuluth in an online magazine format below. If you do not have Adobe Flash Player installed on your web-browers click "Get Adobe Flash Player" and then select "Allow" in the pop up.
Download the full document
- Smaller resolution (After clicking on the link, click the arrow button at the top of the page to download. If you do not see the arrow button, move your cursor to the top of the page. You can zoom in on the page by using the controls at the bottom center of your screen.)
- High resolution (Larger file with clearer graphics.)
Download by chapter
(After clicking on a link below, click the arrow button at the top of the page to download. If you do not see the arrow button, move your cursor to the top of the page. You can zoom in on the page by using the controls at the top right of your screen.)
- Chapter 1: Shaping Our Future City (high resolution)
- Chapter 2: Duluth in Context (high resolution)
- Chapter 3: Our City Today (high resolution)
- Chapter 4: Formulating Our Strategy (high resolution)
- Chapter 5: Vision & Goals (high resolution)
- Chapter 6: From Strategy to Implementation (high resolution)
Download the draft policy maps