INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A NEW ALCOHOL LICENSE
All businesses within the city limits of Duluth that are interested in serving or selling any type of alcohol beverage (liquor, spirits, distilled beverages, beer, and/or wine) are required to obtain an Alcohol Beverage License. Email us at email@example.com or visit the Business Office at the City Hall of Duluth or call 770.476.3434 for individual assistance.
1) Application Completion - The City of Duluth has established the following application for alcohol sales within the City. Note that the alcohol licensing process generally takes 7-10 business days. Applicants are required to provide evidence of ownership or lease to receive a City of Duluth Alcohol Beverage License. The license is not transferable and expires annually on July 1st regardless of license issue date. Access the application by clicking on the link below.
New Alcohol Beverage License Application
Larger companies may need additional forms. Access these forms by clicking on the links below.
Employee List for Application
Owner/Manager Information for Application
Personal History Statement for Application
2) Investigation & License Fee - A $250 non-refundable investigation fee is required at submission of an application. The fee is payable with a certified check, cashier’s check, or cash. The license fee will also be due at this time. The license fee is refundable if the application is denied for any reason.
3) Occupational Tax Certificate – In order to sell, offer for sale, or otherwise dispense any alcohol beverages for consumption on or off premises within the city limits of Duluth, new businesses must apply for a City of Duluth Occupational Tax Certificate before an alcohol application will be accepted.
4) State License - A state license must be obtained through the Georgia Department of Revenue. If applying for a beer and wine license only, the State requires proof of a City Alcohol Beverage License first. If applying for a beer, wine, and liquor license, it is advised to begin the State application process at the same time. Visit State of Georgia Department of Revenue at State of Georgia Alcohol Licenses or by calling 877.423.6711.
5) Criminal History Consent - All owners and managers are required to complete a Personal History Statement and Consent for Background Check with valid identification as part of the application. In addition, owners are required to be fingerprinted by the Duluth Police Department. The consent form authorizing the fingerprints will be provided to the owner at the time that the application is submitted.
6) Citizen or Immigration Authorization – All applicants are required to verify citizenship or immigration status.
7) Alcohol Handling Permit - All licensees and employees handling or serving alcohol are required to obtain an Alcohol Handling Permit. Permits are valid for a two-year period at a cost of $70. Visit Alcohol Handling Permits for detailed instructions regarding the issuance of temporary, permanent, and renewal permits.
8) Alcohol Awareness Training – A one-time alcohol training class is required for individuals applying for a new Alcohol Handling Permit. Visit Alcohol Awareness Training for a listing of dates and times. Due to COVID-19, this class is only available online. The cost of the class is $20 payable by credit card at www.duluthpayments.com.
9) Code Ordinance - Applicants shall access and review the Duluth Alcoholic Beverages Ordinance (Duluth Code of Ordinance, Chapter 3) for a detailed explanation of the law. Licensees are required to maintain a copy of the ordinance on premises of the business, and all employees shall be familiar with the requirements of the ordinance.
12). Is your business inside the city limits of Duluth? Click on the link below to view limits of the City.
11) View hours of alcohol sales at Hours of Alcohol Sales.