Any business within the city limits of Duluth that is interested in serving or selling any type of alcoholic beverage (beer, wine, distilled beverage, spirit or liquor) must first obtain an Alcohol Beverage License from the City of Duluth.
How to apply for an Alcohol License
- All businesses must first obtain an Occupational Tax Certificate from the City of Duluth.
- Applicant must complete the Alcohol Business Application in its entirety.
- Contact the Alcohol/Excise Tax Officer at 770-476-3434 x 1221 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment to submit your completed application and all required supplemental materials in person, in the Business Office of Duluth City Hall, located at 3167 Main Street, Duluth GA. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Application and license fees are due when the application is submitted.
- The business must be a type of business eligible for such licensure and meet location criteria (zoning classification and distance requirements from other locations such as schools). It will also undergo verification of Occupational Tax (business license) as well as the status of any fees or taxes due to the City.
- Applicants must undergo a verification process for eligibility to obtain a License, such as a background investigation/criminal history report, citizenship or immigration authorization, and fingerprinting on all owners and other records as required by the City Clerk’s office to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Duluth Alcoholic Beverage Ordinance.
- Alcohol Handling Permits are required for all employees who will serve, sell or handle alcohol in any capacity. These are renewed annually for most employees. Click HERE for permit requirements. A one-time Alcohol Awareness Training class is required for all new Alcohol Handling Permit applicants. Click HERE for training class information.
- The completed application is reviewed by the City Clerk or his/her designee, and written notification of approval or denial is generated.
- The processing time required is generally 7-10 business days.
The City of Duluth Alcohol Beverage License is issued in accordance with regulations and requirements outlined in Chapter 3 of the Duluth Code of Ordinances. A business must also obtain (and maintain) a valid Georgia Alcohol License from the Alcohol and Tobacco Division of the Georgia Department of Revenue, 404-417-4900 State of Georgia Alcoholic Beverage License Information.