The City Administrator is tasked to independently organize and manage the daily operations of Duluth’s City government in accordance with local ordinances, laws and policies prescribed by the elected officials. The Administrator’s responsibilities and authorities include orchestrating the full spectrum of activities of the City and making on-scene decisions to keep day-to-day operations running smoothly. Duties include acting as focal point for strategic and tactical planning, programming and budgeting; serving as liaison between the City staff and the governing body; supervising all City department directors; assisting the general public; and serving on various boards and committees dedicated to improving and/or resolving key community issues. Obligations include, but are not limited to, interaction with City employees and elected officials; business executives and community leaders; developers and builders; citizens and homeowner associations; news media; attorneys; school boards; hospital officials; transportation managers; fire & rescue agencies; and various financial institutions. Interaction ranges from local level to international.
Customer Service Policy
You are our most important client. Staff will provide you with the best possible customer service. To ensure our commitment to excellence, we believe in:
- Implement all policies and regulations enacted by the City Council relating to the administration of the City.
- Oversee and manage all daily business and financial activities of the City.
- Strive to keep the community informed on municipal affairs, encourage communication between the citizens and all municipal officers, and seek to improve the quality and image of public service.
- Establish procedures which insure the safety of each employee and every citizen who interfaces with the City, and protect the public’s investment in equipment, facilities and vehicles purchased with their tax dollars.
- Provide budget and financial policies to be followed in order to establish and maintain effective management of the City’s fiscal resources.
- Strive to provide a facility for employees and citizens that is free or violence through a strict no-tolerance policy.
- Aggressively recruit, hire and retain, an intelligent, capable workforce.
- Strive to continuously improve the Duluth Newsletter, so our citizens remain informed of local government actions at all times.
- Provide written operating guidance to employees to insure that the correct procedures are known and followed in the most recurring situations.
- Work at producing timely, informative, attractive brochures and booklets to help attract new developments, residents, and business enterprises.
- Strive to keep the elected officials informed on all significant issues with respect to municipal affairs and key operations of the City.
Duluth is a designated “Main Street City” and “City of Excellence”.