The City of Duluth is a terrific place to live, work, and play. The City government is extremely responsive to the needs of its residents and businesses……a staff member or City Official is only a phone call away! Click here for a brochure that highlights some of the benefits of annexing into the city limits.
Duluth offers numerous services to both residents and businesses, such as an innovative “pay as you throw” garbage program for residential customers, which saves citizens money over Gwinnett County’s rates. Additionally, the City has a street maintenance program, Spring/Fall storm cleanups, resurfacing programs, sidewalk programs, right-of-way maintenance program, and free street lighting. The City’s businesses benefit from being in Duluth by paying lower occupational taxes and regulatory fees. For example, the maximum occupational tax in the City is $12,500 vs. the County’s maximum of $19,580, and the City’s stormwater utility fees are 45% to 82% lower than those billed by Gwinnett County.
Finally, all sectors of the City of Duluth benefit from its outstanding police protection. Duluth’s Police Department has a normal response time of less than five minutes. Gwinnett County police officers average around 45 minutes in response time. The Duluth Police Department also offers a door check program where an officer will check the doors of a home while the owner is away and other services to businesses including free background checks on potential employees.
If you would like more information about annexing into the City of Duluth, please e-mail Chris Collins with your name, address, telephone number, tax parcel number (if you know it) or location of the property, and any other pertinent information about the property. If you do not have email, you can reach the Duluth Planning Dept. by phoning 770-476-1790.
Process for Annexation into the City of Duluth:
- Pre-application conference with Planning Staff.
- Official submittal of a completed “Application for Zoning & Annexation” (and all associated documents/certifications).
- Planning Staff review of annexation request and notification to Gwinnett County of the request.
- Planning Staff review of Gwinnett County’s comments regarding the annexation request. If County has no objections to annexation, process continues. If County objects to the annexation, process is put on hold until objections can be discussed and resolved.
- A public meeting of the Planning Commission to review only the re-zoning aspects of the request is held and recommendation made to the Duluth Mayor & Council (Planning Commission does not make recommendations on annexations only rezoning requests)
- City Council reviews both the annexation and corresponding re-zoning requests at a public hearing.
- City Council will then either Approve, Approve with Conditions, Deny, or Table (defer) the annexation and rezoning request.
*Typical annexation timeframe is approximately 75 days provided there are no delays in the steps mentioned above.
Duluth Service Advantages
- Security and response second to none and the third lowest (Business & Residential) crime statistics in the metro area.
- Frequent patrols throughout the business and residential community day and night.
- Vacation house checks/Business door lock checks.
- Police Seminars: Self Defense
- Rape Prevention
- Drug Awareness
- Police Programs: Neighborhood Watch
- Child Find
- Kindergarten Safety
- Civilian Volunteers
- Bicycle Patrol
- Reserve Police
- Police Explorers
- Rapid Response/5min. or less, anywhere in the City.
LOWEST OCCUPATIONAL TAXES
City of Duluth computes occupational taxes by a method (Business) which amounts to thousands of dollars in savings over methods used by the County or other municipalities.
Street lighting is provided free on all public streets in the (Business and Residential) City. (This is an additional charge on your County tax bill.)
EASILY ACCESSIBLE CITY STAFF
Rapid response to problems due to customer service by ELECTED OFFICIALS City staff and accessible elected officials. (Business and Residential)
- Free Curbside Recycling (residential)
- (Business and Residential) Stability of low rates under City contract
- Unique charge per bag and not flat fee (residential)
- Dependable Service. Free weekend dumpsters for bulk items.
SPECIAL CITY SERVICES
Rip-rap rock/erosion control program
- Bi Monthly Newsletter keeping all city customers (Business and Residential) informed.
- Limb Chipping/Mulching/Composting Program
- R/W Grass Cutting/Tree Maintenance Program
- Road Signs provided for slowing speed, dumping, etc.
- Spring/Fall/Storm Cleanups
- Community Festivals & special events
- Veterans Flags & Crosses Program
- Storm/Drainage/Catch Basin Maintenance
STREETS & TRAFFIC
- Traffic calming alternatives: speed humps, diverters, etc. (Business & Residential) Traffic Study/Analysis
- Sidewalk Programs
- Safety Improvement Projects: turn lanes, signage, etc.
- Street Maintenance & Resurfacing Program
- W.P. Jones Park- Depot, Tennis Courts, Picnic, Trails, Playground
- Craig Drive Park
- Church Street Park- Basketball, picnic.
- Bunten Road Park- Tennis Courts, Community Building, Trails, Soccer Fields, Picnic Tables, Playground, Softball, Baseball
- Taylor Park- Picnic Tables, Playground
- Comprehensive Recreational Programs for kids, adults and seniors.
- Special Events & Festivals
- Town Green & Amphitheater
BEAUTIFICATION & IMPROVEMENTS
- Community Betterment Program- Matching funds for (Business and Residential) projects which make a public improvement.
- Buford Highway Beautification Project
- Erosion Control Program
- Downtown Improvement Program
(Ga. Power, Cable TV, etc.)
Clear direction for meeting the City’s needs into the (Business and Residential) future.
- Pro Development Attitude
- (Business and Residential) Fast Inspection Service (usually same or next day of request)
- Low Fees
- Quicker processing time for plan review and permitting