Alcohol Beverage License
Businesses that sell and serve beer, wine, distilled spirits, or any other alcoholic beverages in the City of Duluth are required to obtain a City of Duluth alcohol license through the office of the City Clerk, located at Duluth City Hall (3167 Main Street). License periods run from July 1st through June 30th of each year. If a license is issued after January 1st, the amount of the license is half the normal fee.
Available licenses and fees are listed on page 1 of the Alcohol Beverage License application.
In all cases, businesses must also obtain a State Alcohol License through the Georgia Department of Revenue.
All businesses are required to purchase alcohol from Whole Sale Distributors.
How to apply for an Alcohol License
- All businesses must first obtain an Occupational Tax Certificate from the City of Duluth.
- Applicant must complete the Alcohol application and submit to Alcohol/Excise Tax Officer in the City Clerk’s office, completed and notarized, with an application payment.
- The Business will undergo verification of Occupational Tax (business license) as well as status of any fees or taxes due to the City.
- A background investigation is required on all owners and managers by the Duluth Police Department.
- Alcohol Handling Permits are required on all employees who serve, sell or handle alcohol.
- The completed application is reviewed by the City Clerk or his/her designee and written notification of approval or denial is generated.
- The normal processing time required is, roughly one week.
City of Duluth Alcohol Beverage Licenses are issued in accordance with regulations and requirements outlined in Chapter 3 of the Duluth Code of Ordinances. Latest Alcohol Ordinance (August, 2012). October 2010 Alcohol Amendment
Businesses licensed to sell liquor by the drink on their premises (restaurants) shall pay excise tax at the rate of $0.22 per liter and must file a monthly return with the City of Duluth for collection/reporting of excise taxes. See Excise Tax Form on page 29 of the Alcohol Beverage License application for details.
Renewing your Alcohol license
LICENSES MUST BE RENEWED ANNUALLY.
If you already have a City of Duluth Alcohol License, you will receive renewal paperwork in the mail early April to renew for the following year. Paperwork will be due back to the City by June 1st of each year.
For more information, contact Alcohol Officer Leslie Ward at email@example.com or 770-476-3434.
Please note that all employees, managers and owners must have completed the mandatory training classes in order to renew their Alcohol Handling Permit. The employees of each establishment must ALL have current permits on file with the Duluth City Hall before a renewal license will be issued.
Click HERE for a schedule of upcoming training classes. Please arrive 30 minutes prior for registration.
PLEASE NOTE THAT RENEWALS RECEIVED AFTER JUNE 1ST ARE SUBJECT TO A 10% LATE FEE.
Alcohol Handling Permits
Every employee who will handle or serve alcohol will be required to obtain an alcohol handling permit from the Duluth City Hall, located at 3167 Main Street. Permits are issued on Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:00pm -4:00pm for a charge of $35.
For more information regarding Handling Permits, contact Leslie Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-476-3434.